We are proud and blessed to be the new home of the historic Skinner Organ Opus 774, built by E.M. Skinner in 1929 for St. Paul's Memorial Church, United Church of Christ, in Reading PA. Since its installation at Saint Mark's in 2009 it has greatly enhanced our worship and become a valued asset to our community.
The Opus 774 represents the finest of moderate-sized organs designed and built by E.M. Skinner, one of the foremost American organ builders of the twentieth century. The original donors of the organ also endowed it, so it was maintained in its original, pristine condition–no alterations or changes of any kind were ever made to the instrument. Sadly, the church itself had no such endowment and was forced to close due to declining membership. The new owners of the building had no need for the organ nor desire to maintain it, so they offered it for sale. Saint Mark's, with an aging organ in need of much work, purchased the Opus 774 in December of 2004. The organ was removed and placed in storage until such time as it could be installed in its new home. The installation began in August of 2009.
With a concern for its historic significance, much care has been taken to restore the instrument, using original parts whenever possible. All the pipes, reservoirs, cases and the blower have been lovingly cleaned and restored. The console was executed in Gothic revival style, hand-carved of American black walnut, and retains its original finish. For more about this beautiful instrument, click here!